Monday, September 21, 2015

Chapter 2

Squid- Age 13 and Spider- Age 14

Chapter 2:

We'd been walking for days. Just making it out of the tundra biome, we stepped weakly into the taiga.
"How far are we?" Spider asked, whining.
"Based on the biome I don't think we're that close.
Spider whined more and checked her clock. It was almost night again. We were so far behind anyway that we didn't even care that we'd slowly get farther and farther.
"Should we just give up?"
I stopped walking, "No. They're probably wondering where we are."
She got a funny look on her face. She gave me the "seriously" stare and then sat down on the thick grass.
"I'm tired," she complained.
I didn't even reply to that.
"And I'm hungry," she continued.
Knowing she'd be doing this for a while, I made a small camp site with the cobblestone I brought. I took a bed I got from killing Steve last month, and plopped down onto the wooly red puddle. Spider continued her loooooooooooong list of complaints while I just played games in my thoughts. The sun finally fell below the ground and darkness filled our view. There was a weird splash sound not much longer after that.
"Um..." Spider started, "What was that?"
-splish-
We looked puzzled.
-splash-
I slowly got up from the bed and grabbed a torch from the wall. Spider followed behind me. The splashes were getting really loud and we were getting scared.
"It's probably a fish," I suggested.
I was close...
A short girl with long blue hair, dripping wet, came walking sluggishly out of the ocean.
"Squid!" Spider and I shouted.
The three of us ran in for an awkward group hug, then went back into the cobble house.
**
"How did you even get here, Squid?" Spider asked.
"I swam," Squid said while laughing.
"How'd you know we were here?"
"I didn't. I just went out to find you and got lucky."
"That's serious luck I guess," I added.
Squid giggled at almost everything we said. Most of the time I doubted she even knew what it meant. Squid is 13, but she really is only about as smart as a 5 year old. It can get annoying at times.
"Well," Spider said while heading towards the door, "We should find the others."
"Don't you know where they are, Squid? I mean, you came from there to get us, right?"
Squid nodded, "I don't remember."
I would've slapped her but I didn't want to make a scene. How do you forgot where you came from after 30 minutes? I did sigh though. It was just too hard to do nothing.
I stood up, "I'm going. We can't just sit here and hope they come to us."
"Actually we could," Squid retorted, feeling smart.
Spider pushed the door open and walked out. I followed, and we left Squid alone in the room. We walked for a few minutes. Spider went back to complaining about being hungry. I started to feel guilty about leaving Squid alone. I mean, we did just find her. Not to mention she's part of our group and one of our friends. Just as our guilt almost made us turn around, she had caught up to us. Turned out she was following us the whole time.
"Hey," she started while gasping for air, "I made it."
"Yeah I guess so," I said.
The three of us continued walking together.
I stopped, "Squid."
"Yeah?"
"Did you happen to take anything from the house before you left?"
"No."
"Of course not... Now we just left all our supplies half a mile away."
"I'm sorry..."
"Yeah- I know."
We turned around and started heading back. The sun was just about to come out so we wasted a day. Squid looked sad since she knew we were mad at her. Precious time was flying by and we were using it getting something Squid forgot.
"Wait!!!"
"Who's that?" I asked.
Spider brushed her hair out of her face, "My sister."
CS came speeding across the grass and jumped onto Spider.
"How did you get here?" Squid asked.
"I followed you but along the forest instead of through the water."
Squid looked a bit shocked.
"Do you know where the others are?" I asked.
"Well they must have left by now, but I have an idea of where they are heading."
"Great, let's get going then."
**
Squid took the river route while the rest of us hiked across the hilly terrain. CS was sprinting the entire way since she was full of energy.
"How long can she keep running like that?" I whispered to Spider.
"A loooooooong time..."
Just then CS tripped on a rock. Spider sighed and walked past her. I picked Cave Spider up off the ground and continued walking. 10 minutes went by and Squid told us she'd "catch up later" which I'm guessing meant she planned on leaving us and not coming back. This wouldn't be the first time. Last year she jumped in an ocean and we didn't see her again for at least 4 days.
"Over there! It's them!" Spider shouted.
In excitement, I followed Spider and CS who were dashing towards where they saw the others. Spider stopped and flailed her arms in circles. She was awkwardly leaning forward and her face was unusually pale.
Oh crap she's falling!
CS happened to not be anywhere near us somehow, so I darted over to Spider, who was hanging over a ravine. I barely reached the back of her shirt before she would've been a black-ish goop at the bottom. She plopped onto the grass, exhausted, scared, and shocked. I followed for the same reasons. I guess I can't complain since I could've been the one about to die. I can't even imagine the guilt I'd feel if she fell off. Even less what CS would do to me.
"Wait, where's Cave Spider?"
Why me...
I stood up and shouted for her. Nothing. Walked in a big circle to see if I could notice her green hair. Nope. CS was gone. Where? Who knows. All I knew was that she wasn't here. Spider's expression was totally blank. She was blaming all this on herself. As her big sister it is sort of her responsibility to watch over CS, but she was falling off a cliff. Cut her some slack.
"Hey," I started, "You okay?"
"She's probably dead. Did she fall off the cliff?!"
"No she's not dead. You know little kids, they like to wander. She probably found the others and wanted to go see them."
No response.
"C'mon, get up," I said while grabbing her arm, "Let's go find her."

No comments:

Post a Comment